|A Classical Affair: Cocktail or Dinner Party Invitation by B.Nute productions on Etsy|
This weekend I hosted a Classical Affair dinner party to celebrate my Dad's 75th Birthday. My dad is a lover of good food, amazing wines and more importantly classical music! I thought this theme was perfect to celebrate his milestone. Below are some of the pictures from the evening, as well as other decoration and game ideas if you'd like to host a similar party. This theme is perfect for anyone who loves music-- and can be tailored for a birthday, anniversary party, wedding shower, engagement party or any affair!
Inspiration BoardDecoration Ideas
- Palette - This affair deserves and elegant monochromatic palette such as creams, silvers, and golds. The palette is a perfect complement to vintage sheet music.
- Vintage Music - Head to the local antique shop, and scour the bins for old sheet music. Any will do, but the more ornate and classical, the better! Once home, use the sheet music liberally throughout the space. It can make a great table runner, and/or even place mats if you don't mind them getting soiled.
- Flowers and Glass - Cream roses, bountiful hydrangeas, and sparkling glass will add to the overall look of elegance and grace... like a beautiful Minuet.
- Candelabras, Chandeliers, Grandeur - An elegant evening needs some elegant accessories... make sure to pull out your candle sticks, or candelabra, and dust off your chandelier. For our party, I hung pictures of people from the orchestra to the chandelier for a little whimsy.
- Musical Motifs - Treble clefs, musical notes, bass clefs, a music stand, and possibly a beautiful instrument or two-- these motifs and items decorated in the space will add to the classical mood. There are many glittery musical notes or glittery musical instruments that you can buy on the internet.
- Composers and Musicians - Find some old vintage images of classical composers and print out their illustrative portraits. Put in an elegant frame and place on the buffet table or bar to greet your guests!
Depending on the age of your guests, and the playfulness... a traditional game of Musical Chairs could really lively up the affair! Set chairs around a circle - one less chair than the number of people playing. Play a lively classical piece and have everyone walk around the chairs. When the music stops, everyone must find a chair. The person without a chair is out. Now remove a chair from the circle and keep playing!
Name the Instrument
Pick up the book titles, The Story of the Orchestra for a great overview about an orchestra, classical music eras, composers and instruments. This book also comes with a CD that can be used for a great game of "Name the Instrument."
Give each person a piece of paper with a list of instruments from the book. Now play each segment from the CD (out of order) and have people write down which instrument is which. Winner could receive a classical music CD.
Classical Music Trivia
Depending on the age of your guests and knowledge of classical music, a trivia game could be a great way to get folks to not only have fun together but also possibly learn a few things! Head to the internet, and compile a list of Classical Music Trivia questions to hand out to your guests. Winner could receive another classical music CD or iTunes card.
Best Conductor Contest
Assign 2 people to be the judges, and have everyone have 1 minute to display their best conducting skills. Make sure to play a very popular and energetic classical piece while they perform! If their hair goes aray during the performance, they should earn extra points!
Classical Conversation Topics
Below is a free printable Conversation Questions with a musical theme perfect to print out, set on the table, and spark a terrific conversation.
|Free Printable A Classical Affair - Conversational Questions by B.Nute productions|
1. Select link above, and print out the cards on an 8.5" x 11" card stock from your browser.
2. Cut the card out from the center.
3. Set on the table or bar to spark a classical conversation!
Printable items are copyright protected, and provided free of charge by B.Nute productions for personal use only. B.Nute's printables can not be sold, altered, or provided for download on any other site. For questions or inquiries, please contact B.Nute productions.