|Red and Ripe Summertime Strawberries|
So, this year, when we put jam-making on our bucket list, the goal was definitely to find a quick and easy recipe, so the kids could experience the fun, but not spend too much time in the details. We decided to go with a recipe from Sure-Jell-- it had few ingredients, and did not involve sterilizing and canning. It was a great choice... within 45 minutes, we had made the jam, and the kids were diving in the pool for fun!
|Making Simple Strawberry Jam by B.Nute productions|
Here's the recipe:
and the simple steps we followed:
1. The kids removed the stems and diced up the strawberries.
2. With the strawberries in a bowl, they used a potato masher to crush the strawberries.
3. They mixed the sugar with the strawberries, and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes.
4. We heated 3/4c water with a Sure-Jell package to a boil.
5. After boiling for 1 minute, we removed the water/jell mixture and stirred it into crushed strawberries and sugar.
6. For "canning", we simple used small reusable containers, and filled them up.7. After 24 hours at room temperature, we now have a couple jars in our fridge for use, and the rest in our freezer (for up to a year.) Yum, summertime strawberries all year long!