Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Italian American Christmas Eve Dinner

This year we are having an Italian-American Christmas Eve Dinner - San Francisco Style! No, I don't have even the slightest hint of Italian in me... it's all my husband's side... but in honor of his 90 year old grandmother who is joining up this year, I thought it would be fun to have a "theme" for our Christmas Eve dinner.

It didn't take me long to come up with the Italian theme. Then, when I started brainstorming menu ideas, well, I couldn't help put the San Francisco spin on everything-- our beloved city!

Here's the highlights of what we'll be enjoying.
Delicious Cioppino! (Photo from Kelly on flickr)
Cioppino
This delicious tomato based seafood soup hails from a Genoa Italian fisherman who settled in the North Beach area of San Francisco. Cioppino is the perfect dish for winter-time, given it is Dungeness crab season out here as well! The recipe I'm going to follow is from Saveur Magazine (and, yes, their Dec. 2011 issue is, "Italian Christmas"!)



St. Honore Cake's Being Made by Diandra's Bakery - Photo from Inside Scoop SF - SF Gate
St. Honore Cake
Mmm, mm... this delicious cake and bakery, Diandra's Italian American Pastry, was recently written up in San Francisco Chronicle as a must-try holiday treat! Well, how can I resist! Mine is on order, ready to be picked up the morning of the 24th.

Besides these two "dishes of honor," here are a few other dishes we will be having:

  • a large antipasto plate
  • lasagna
  • focaccia
  • Ghiradelli Chocolate (the Italian American chocolatier who also settled in San Francisco)
  • gelato

What will you be serving this Christmas Eve?

0 comments: