|Tacky Christmas Party Invitation by B.Nute productions on Etsy|
Tacky Christmas Party Inspiration
- Mismatched is It - Angels, Teddy Bears, Santas, Oh My! - Head out to the local dollar store and the like and find some paper decorations to fill your walls with mismatched winter wonders. The more they clash, the better. Remember, this party is all about going over board!
- Terrific Trinkets - Santa soap dispensers, reindeer napkin holders, snowmen toothpick holders-- search high and low in thrift stores for those great holiday trinkets. Again, the more mismatched, the better.
- Plastic Table Cloths and Plate Ware - Holly boughs, poinsettias, snowflakes, Santa and more... all put together it will make a tacky table galore!
- Window Stickers - Holiday window stickers are plentiful this year, and great to hang everywhere... on your mirrors, doors, where ever folks will look-- put a little kitsch Christmas charm!
- Tinseltown - Tinsel is the best, and at this affair, the more it glitters, the better.
- Lights - Blinking, neon, old fashioned... whatever your delight, be sure to have at least a couple strands strung about the party space.
- Your Tacky Outfit - The best part of this party is your outfit! Find those holiday sweaters with Rudolf on them, get the snowmen headband, the elf pants... and put them all together. Perfect!
Food and Drink Ideas
This party must have a bar set up-- even if only non-alcoholic beverages are served. Get the cooler out, and fill it with all your favorites. Then put out some bottles of liquor, and sweet mixers just in case a guest would like to fill himself with holiday cheer!
- Beer in a Can - A 12pack of cans is perfect for this party. We're not talking fancy, shmancy brew pub or holiday brews-- this party deserves just a good ol'fashioned beer in a can like a PBR or Budweiser.
- Wine in a Box - Wine in a box comes in all shapes and sizes. Who knew! A small box, and mix of varieties, you decided.
- Shots All Around - Some fun shot glasses, from various airports and travel destinations will be perfect next to the bottles.
- Bar Accessories - Swizzle Sticks, Napkins, Beer Cozies - Don't forget the accessories. To keep your beer cool, all will love a Christmas Beer Cozie. How 'bout a swizzle stick or two? Always fun to have in your beverage.
Remember all those goodies that were set out at parties in the 60's and 70's? Perhaps your Mom made a delicious 80's dish? This party is all about nostalgic, and somewhat unhealthy dishes... but, boy, do they taste good!
- Wieners or Vienna Sausages - Whether you want to wrap them in dough (pigs in blankets), or just serve them warmed with toothpicks, wieners are a must!
- Ritz and Cheez Whiz - Mmmm, cheese from a can. Who ever thought of this was brilliant! Just spray some on some Ritz crackers and voila, a perfect hors d'oeuvres! Oh yeah, if you'd like, you can keep some Ritz without just in case someone doesn't like cheese from a can. (Could that be possible?!)
- Sour Cream and Onion Dip & Potato Chips - Good ol'Lipton Soup Onion Mix is what we used to use when growing up... I'm sure there are many brands out there that will do just as well. An easy dip that tastes great!
- Chex Mix - There are so many different types of cereal mix recipes online, that I'm sure at least 1 or 2 will please guests!
- Meatballs - Warm meatballs in a Crockpot are another perfect appetizer all will love. Make sure to have some festive toothpicks ready to use!
- Deviled Eggs - Deviled eggs always remind me of my grandmothers house... she made some tasty ones! For the holidays, be sure to serve with a little pimento and parsley for the green and red.
- Other Delicacies: Twinkies, HoHos, Ding Dongs, Fiddle Faddle and More - Oh, how many horrible, I mean delicious treats are still out on the market, waiting to be served at your Tacky Christmas Party. The good news is if folks don't finish these off this year, you can always serve them next year, since I heard they have a long shelf life!
White Elephant Gift Exchange
There's nothing like a White Elephant Gift Exchange at this party. Decide ahead of time if the gifts should be silly or "real", and then have a lot of fun! Above are some great presents that were exchanged at our Tacky Christmas Party - Finger lights (?), straw glasses to sip your drink from, and a Hooters wing gift set. These were well sought after!
Tacky Ornament Exchange
Why not exchange ornaments... but instead of a lovely vintage item, or delicate handmade number, find the tacky-est, cheesiest ornament out there, wrap it up, and the receiver will cherish it forever! An ornament exchange can be played just as a white elephant gift exchange, so just follow the same rules, but have all the presents be ornaments.
The Thorne Room
Don't forget the bathroom. This can be the best part of the party for your guests! There are loads of tacky Christmas bathroom accessories waiting to be purchased and put to good use! Above is a soft, plush Santa toilet seat cover... think of all the other items that can be put in this room for your guests entertainment... the possibilities are endless.